Re: JZD's Corvair Involvement. (was: D's for sale (kinda silly))

Re: JZD's Corvair Involvement. (was: D's for sale (kinda silly))

Yes, John DeLorean was involved with the Corvair. The relationship
was not about engineering though. Before the Corvair entered
production, it had horrible results on the test track. Drivers were
flipping the cars upside down. The solution to cure it was to have an
anti-sway bar installed. The cost to GM: $8.00 additional for every
car. The 14th floor felt it was too expesive even though GM analysts
predicted a large death toll for Corvair drivers. JZD and others
decided to fight top brass on the ethics of the issue of profit vs.
human lives. But the anti-sway bar wasn't installed untill after
Ralph Nader wrote his famous book "Unsafe at any speed" about the
Corvair, and by this time the car had already claimed a huge number
of lives. All of this is from the book "On a clear day you can see
General Motors." I don't know if it still has the record, but I
believe at the time, the Corvair had the worst death rate of any car
on the road.

I've never seen any designs, or even a prototype such as
the "Banshee", but I have been told that the Fiero was a JZD concept
from his Pontiac days. Given JZD's, "Bunkie" Knudson's, and Ed Cole's
taste in sports cars & personal feelings, it's probably true. But
more than likely wasn't allowed into production due to office
politics. Though it probably looked alot different then...

-Robert
vin 6585

<SNIP>