Broken Shift Linkage

On the way home in traffic today I had problems shifting from 1st
gear into second. I've had this problem before, and I've cured it by
spraying the shift linkage with WD-40 to lubricate it. For the past
week the problem appeared to have returned, but I hadn't had time yet
to lube everything. Anyhow, it got to the point where I was unable to
shift from 1st to 2nd at all. While accelerating from a stop this
happened again, so I used a bit more force to get it into 2nd. It
went in, but with a LOUD clunk! When I shifted again there was no
resistance at all forward and aft. Left and right seems ok, and the
cable looks to still be in place. But when I move the gearlever
forward and back, it sounds like the front gearchange tube is
scraping across the bottom of the chassis. First off, has anyone else
here had this type of problem before? Second, could it jest be that
the nut on the adjustable gear tube has just come loose, or is it
probable that the bolt may have been stripped? (I hope the bolt on
the relay lever isn't broken!) Since I just got home now, I havent
yet had the chance to get under the car to inspect the linkage
(Farmers Insurace Tow Service took 5 hours to send a truck out to
me!!!).

-Robert
vin 6585 (the DeLorean from hell!)