Re: [DML] Warm-up circuit

The DeLorean's engine uses a mechanical fuel injection system that was
designed years before anyone worried about emissions. Bosch employed an
interim fix until their elecronic fuel injection was ready to market. This
was accomplished by adapting the Lamba system ( which I belive the folks at
Saab devised ) to their Jetronic injection system. It was then called the
K-Jetronic system. The oxygen sensor used, along with the ECU unit and
various other engine sensors were pretty basic. The oxygen sensor is
unheated and relies on exhaust gases to get it up to temperature. When it's
cold it isn't sending the right voltage signal to the ECU so the engine ,
actually the frequency valve, is receiving a signal from the ECU that causes
it to hunt for the right fuel mix. As the exhaust gases bring the O2 sensor
up to temperature things smooth out. Modern cars heat the O2 sensor
electrically right at start up so the fuel mix gets to the Stoichiometric
mix of about 14.1 to 1 very quickly.

Bruce Benson