Re: Insurance for young driver

This one is kind of tricky to answer...
When insuring the DeLorean, you may want to put your parents on as
the primary drivers of the car, even if you will be. If you yourself
legaly own the car, then you will need to atleast need to put one of
your parents on the registration (I don't belive that the title will
be nessisary as well). If more then one name appears on the vehicle
registration, it means that at least half of the time someone else
will have access to the car, thus meaning if you can't drive it all
the time, then you are only a "part time driver." Good discount here.
Depending on you insurance companies policies, you may want to have
another, less expensive car to insure become listed as YOUR primary
vehicle (same dual name registration applies). Although even this can
sometimes be odd. i.e. im 21 y/o male, but it's cheaper to insure me
as the primary driver for a 1981 DeLorean then it is for a 1997
Hyundai Accent! So a good deal will depend of your insurance agents
profile of the car. Plus if your parents are willing to help out,
they will be invaluable! At your age, you will also need to be
careful of some insurance companies like Progressive's restrictions.
A few years ago, Progressive wanted to charge my family an outragous
amount to insure me, just based on age. In order to avoid the costs,
they wanted my parents to sign an extra form that limited my coverage
to only one car. If I was involved in an accident with any other
vehicle then the one I was covered for, the insurance company would
not cover anything, and I could be charged for driving with out valid
insurance even though I sent a payment every month! Something to
watch out for... A great deal has been written about insuring
DeLoreans by myself and other DMLer's over the years, so the archives
are an excellent place for information. Just remember, the agent is
there to work for you, NOT against you. If things don't go you way
you can always walk out of thier office because you are in control.
If you'd like to, e-mail me privately, and I'll see what I can do to
help you out with the agents. Good luck!

-Robert
vin 6585

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, Delorean17@xxxx wrote:
> Hello List,
> I have just started to look into insurance for my car. Hagerty
classic
> car insurance has extremely CHEAP prices.(1/2 price of most) my
friend has