Re: [DML] Fuel Gauge

The low fuel level warning lamp is turned on by a contact located at the
bottom of the sender and is activated when the float reaches the bottom of
the sender housing. The problem with the factory sender is that over time
the plastic components that make up the sender distort and the contact
points move out of position. In many cases this distortion causes the very
thin connecting wires to break or become intermittent. This usually results
in the fuel gauge needle pointing off scale in the 12 o'clock position.

Unfortunately the original sender units are not repairable and are no longer
available; Tankzilla to the rescue. An interesting fact concerning the
Tankzilla is that it has a microprocessor that recalibrates itself each time
the ignition switch is turned on making the gauge very accurate. Another
problem that has been corrected is the erratic action of the low fuel
warning lamp. In the factory sender when the fuel level is low the float
bounces up and down as the fuel sloshes around the tank causing the low
level fuel light to flash prematurely. In the Tankzilla the float position
is electronically monitored and must remain at the bottom of the tank for 5
seconds before the lamp turns on.

"We're here to help you"

DMC Joe / De Lorean Services / <dmcjoe@xxxx>
Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>