Driving Tour: What to Expect

The last time I looked, registration for Friday's "Nobody Gets Lost
Driving Tour and Rock & Roll Road Rally" was FOUR TIMES greater than we
expected and still growing.

I know some people enjoy these events a lot more when they know what to
expect. If you (or your navigator) fall into this category, here are
some details to improve your (their) comfort level:

START (9:30-10:00AM)
The first leg starts in the street just behind the Great Lakes Science
Center, right outside the Science Center parking garage. Both hotels
are about one minute away. If you are parked in a different garage,
just drive your car toward the Rock Hall where a DCO volunteer will be
standing in the street to point the way. Outside the Science Center
Garage another DCO Volunteer will be passing out a briefing sheet for
your navigator to read while you move into position for launch.

Each car will get a folder full of tour materials and a cassette (or
CD). We have more cars than a Royal Funeral. Driving through city
traffic, we cannot possibly stay together, so Patti and I will be
passing out the folders and cassettes to one car at a time. As soon as
you put your cassette in your player you can leave. The cars will be 20
seconds apart, so you should have one or two cars in sight most of the
time.

If you need to park your car to put CDs into your player, please arrive
at 9:15 or so.

Your materials will include a hang tag for your rearview mirror which
identifies you as a tour participant. It also gives your group number
(see below) and the balloon code.

In addition to the map and directions, the route will be marked with
balloons. Red for right, bLue for left. In some places White will mean
go straight.

STOP 1 (arrive 10:00-10:30)
After 30 minutes you will arrive at NASA Glenn. The driver of every car
must show identification (license or passport) for the car to be
admitted. Ask for the Visitor Center. The Visitor Center is a free
museum, and they will be showing a special movie for our tour. Outside
NASA could be a good spot for pictures. Check the group number on your
hang tag to see when to leave NASA for lunch.

LUNCH (arrive 11:30-12:30)
We will have lunch at the 100th Bomb Group, a WWII aviation theme
restaurant. It is just down the street from NASA and has full sized
WWII aircarft outside, so this could also be a good spot for pictures.
We will order from a limited menu. Lunches cost between $11 and $14,
including a soft drink, tax, and tip.

DCO volunteers will settle the lunch check and help to get everyone
launced on the second leg of the Tour.

STOP 2 (arrive 1:00 - 2:00)
The secong leg ends in Lakeview Cemetary, where the President James A.
Garfield Memoral is located. As you enter the cemetary turn left and
you will see me standing there to greet you. I will direct you to the
President Garfield Memorial, where Patti and other DCO volunteers will
meet you and serve free ice cream. This is another great place for
pictures.

DCO volunteers will launch you on the third leg. CD users must change
disks for leg 3. The third leg takes you through the Shaker Lakes
region

END (3:00 or later)
The route ends at the freeway ramp where the tour began. You will have
a few free hours to see Downtown Cleveland or get cleaned up for the
banquet at the Crawford.

MAPS
We have marked your tour maps with some historic spots, plus the
locations of a few gas stations. To help those who want to clean their
DeLoreans Saturday morning, the maps include two self-serve car washes,
a Wal Mart and a Kmart.

If you have any questions please contact me.

- Mike Substelny