Cleveland Code of Conduct

Dear DML,

I belong to another exotic car list, and I came across this. I thought
that it would be beneficial for those of us going to Cleveland and Beyond.

Read This Carefully.

Joe Martz (nsxguy@xxxx) has owned 2 NSX's plus several Italian exotics.
He recently posted this to the Ferrari list and I thought it was worth
repeating.

This morning waiting for F1 qualifying, I ginned-up the following as a
personal code for myself. I don't intend this for anyone else, and you have
the lovely gift of free-choice to decide on your own about these things. That
said, I thought others here might be interested. As a code for myself, I
might not always meet the standards I outline. But I firmly believe in
self-improvement and all that stuff, so here goes...

My personal code of conduct as an exotic owner
(© Copyright 1998

My cars will always be clean and well-presentable. I will ensure that my cars
are in the highest state of mechanical condition and maintenance. Exotics as
indeed rare, and to see one is a special experience. I have an obligation to
present these cars to others at a high standard.

I will always be polite, courteous, and friendly. I will not talk down to or
ignore anyone, and I will cheerfully answer all questions. Exotic owners
wrongly suffer from a "snob" label. By actively and always countering this, I
will strive to change this perception among all whom I met.

Where feasible, I will encourage inspection and observation of my cars. If
someone is clean and courteous, I will encourage them to sit in my cars. I
will actively encourage photographs. In-particular, I will encourage this
among younger children. On occasion, I will offer rides to admirers under the
appropriate circumstances.

With one exception (see 5, below), I will obey all traffic laws or local
traffic customs. Especially, I will pass other cars only in marked, safe
passing zones, and I will always respect traffic speeds and noise ordinances
within city limits. I will always drive in a defensive manner to protect
myself and my vehicle. I will not initiate nor will I respond to challenges
to race my cars on open public roads. When asked to race, I will positively
comment on the challengers car and invite them to inspect mine at an
appropriate stopping point, while asking if I might see their
vehicle.

Operating my cars as Enzo, Soichiro and Ferruccio intended will occur only on
open, rural routes free of heavy traffic or on appropriately designated race
courses. On public highways, I will use my highest powers of observation and
diligence to ensure that I place myself, my vehicles, and the public in no
additional danger. I will be aware of the environment and road conditions,
and I will not drive at excessive speeds on unknown or suspect roads. When
approaching blind corners or hills, I will assume that an obstacle exists and
will take appropriate defensive measures.

I will share my passion and excitement for exotic cars with others through
community service and charitable events. I will actively seek out community
organizations such as local police departments and schools and offer my cars
for use in events such as DARE programs, homecoming parades, pep rallies,
etc. Many communities have "Make a Wish" foundations for sick children. If
given the opportunity, I will offer a day with myself and my cars to such
organizations in an effort to brighten an otherwise trying life for someone
less fortunate than I.

I will be honest and open with other enthusiasts, and I will accurately
represent my cars to prospective owners and buyers. I will keep complete
records, and I will always follow-up with purchasers of my cars to ensure
that they continue to gain maximum satisfaction and appreciation for cars
that I have owned and serviced.

I will always have a smile on my face when inspecting, driving, or showing my
cars to others. I will never forget how fortunate I've been to own such
automobiles and I will constantly remind myself that the future is uncertain,
and that today may be as good as it gets.