Re: [DML] Engine Cover help

You don't say if it just lays there because of adjustment, or because
something is missing, so here is the complete description.

Both the engine cover and the louvers have latches. The engine cover latch
is controlled by cable from the passenger compartment. The louvers just
have a simple latch that snaps into the u-shaped metal bracket that extends
up out of the engine cover. A previous owner may have broken and/or removed
this bracket. If it is in place, the louver must be adjusted to the proper
position for the latch to catch. Otherwise it will just lay there. This
adjustment is done on the louver hinges and can take quite a while the
first time you do it, as it involves loosening the bolts and moving things
a small fraction of an inch, tighten, and test. Then repeat until it works
right. It took me over an hour the first time, but only takes a few minutes
now.

The louver latch assembly is show in section 8:4:3 of the parts manual
(downloadable from the DMC-News site), and the catch for it on the engine
cover is #16 in 8:4:4.

Mark N
VIN 6820