Re: [DML] Custom Wheels

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Empress Ballroom wrote:

> 15" in the front and 16" in the rear- that's the measurements on the
> custom wheels that I'm selling. I think the offset has to do with the
> weight distribution. The only modification, which is reversible, is

Offset has to do with suspension geometry, which in turn is affected by
weight distribution. But weight distribution doesn't affect offset
directly.

Offset controls where, along the width of the wheel, it attaches to the
hub. The general idea with offset is that you make the left-right axis
(i.e. when the wheel is turned by the steering wheel) right over the
middle of the tire. Otherwise, steering is affected (not necessarily
adversely!). Usually a bigger offset will result in more steering
stability, at the cost of more steering effort, and a smaller offset
results in sharper "turn-in" at the cost of some twitchiness in the
steering. Best thing with aftermarket wheels is to put the offset in
(proportionally) the same place as it is stock. If your aftermarket
wheels are wider than the stock ones, that numerically the offset may be
different, but the steering axis may still be in the same place.

Offset doesn't matter as much on the rear as it does on the front (no
steering to affect), but you still want to make it as close as you can to
stock. Sometimes you can change the offset a tad in order to squeeze a
little more tire under the fender.

Usually, the company that is making the wheels figures all this out. If
you had the wheels made yourself... then the offset could be anything.