Lighting system upgrades

For nearly a year now we have offered an upgraded, high performance lighting system for the DeLorean. While still retaining the stock appearance, this upgrade can be done with or without a simple wiring modification. As such, returning to a stock headlight setup is easily accomplished if desired.

The kit comes complete with four headlights, and the bulbs for each. The standard bulb with these kits are 60/55W Xenon boosted for the high beam and 55W Xenon boosted for the dipped beam. Higher wattage bulbs can be fitted, but are NOT recommended as the stock wiring harness could be damaged. In any case, the Xenon boosted bulbs offer SIGNIFICANTLY greater light output, as well as being much more "pure" white light. More light = more visibility = SAFETY.

One of the neat features of this setup is what is known as "city lights". Common in Europe, the "city light" is a low wattage bulb that also fits in the same headlight as the primary bulb, but comes on when the parking lights are turned on. What use is that, you ask? As the name "city lights" implies, it's primary benefit is in the city, where the streets are well lit, and headlights are not necessarily required. Sort of like a 'daytime running light", it's also useful in the sense that the low wattage bulb causes less strain on the electrical system (ever see your voltmeter needle drop when you use turn your headlights on?). Rather than drive with just your parking lights on and risk getting pulled over, the city lights serve a useful purpose. The bulbs for the city lights are also included in this kit.

The connection of this additional light is where the wiring modification comes in, a simple, clip-on jumper from the existing wiring harness in the DeLorean. Full instructions are included, price is $229.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1
http://www.usadmc.com

On a personal note, I installed this kit on my personal DeLorean before I sold it and was consistently amazed at the improvement. In fact, I liked it so much I special ordered a similar kit for the vehicle that replaced the DeLorean and have never regretted it. List member Bill Swilley has this setup on his car as well, and I hope that if he sees this he'll offer his comments as well.