From: "Robert Rooney" <dmcvegas@xxxx>
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] Headlight Conversions
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 18:04:21 -0000

I know that the headlight conversion thread has been discussed
before, but I wanted to ask everyone here for both your opinions, &
your ideas. I know that there was the one example where an owner used
the lamps off of a Nissan Maxima. From what I was told (from Don in
Garden Grove), this is not a feasable option. The headlights are not
adjustable, and the angle on them is so, that they are constantly
shining up in the air. Silicone was also used to mount them in place,
so if a bulb burned out, you have to rip the seal, and then re-adhear
everything when you are done. I like the look of the stock lights,
but I also like the new HID lamps too. So my question is this: Is
there a way to safely remove the vaccum from within the sealed beams,
cut the back ends, and remove the filaments to directly convert the
lights? If this could be done, would the electrical system be
afected? I think the current headlights are 45/65 watts, but I've
also seen some HID's rated @ 85/110. Ideas, cautions?

-Robert
vin 6585
Build: 3 NOV 1981