Re: [DML] Inertia switch / fuse relationship?

Previously, I said:

> Last week I wanted to crank my engine without starting it, so I removed
> the [inertia switch] bypass. This worked nicely, and I congratulated
> myself on cleverness. Unfortunately, the first time I put the bypass
> back I did it incorrectly. I am concerned that I may have caused a
> short that blew a fuse (or damaged another component). My fuel
> pump is no longer getting power (it does work when jumpered).

Thank you all for your tips. As it turns out, I may have done nothing wrong
after all.

The new inertia switch came yesterday. In installed it and my fuel pump
immediately began to function normally and my DeLorean started right up. I
assume that the bypass was damaged. I had not caused a short. I patted myself
on the back and put everything back together.

When the previous owner removed the intertia switch he also removed sawed off
the posts I would use to mount it. Not wanting my inertia switch to bounce
around, I put a dab of hot glue on its case and secured it to the panel by my
trunk release lever.

Then I tried to start my DeLorean again. Relays click normally, but no fuel
pump action.

I am now faced with two possibilities:

1) Could the temperature of the hot glue possibly have damaged the mechanism of
my new inertia switch? It seems impossible, unless the mechanism is made of
wax. When I jiggle it the switch seems to behave normally.

2) Perhaps the inertia switch had nothing to do with my problem. I may have
developed that bane of all DeLorean owners: an intermittent electrical gremlin
in a critical system. This could cause me to have a very sad summer.

Any tips on what it might take to get power restored to my fuel pump would be
highly appreciated.

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280, 7 years