Oil pressure sender/gauge/installation

krfds@xxxx writes:
What could it mean that the oil pressure guage is really jumpy. While it never displays low or no pressure, while idoling and while driving the guage jumps up and down and is quite erattic? >>

-Wayne VIN...11174 writes:
Mine does that too. It stays near the top, pressure wise, but bounces
around. The sending unit is also leaking a bit where it screws into the engine. The cure (for both items) is to replace the sending unit sometime when you change your oil. There is a sending unit on each side of the engine. I believe the passenger side one runs the gauge. (Ask your D parts supplier when your order your sending unit. You might want to replace both sending units at the same time. I think the other one is for the "idiot light.") You have to have the oil filter off anyway to get at it. So I'm told. I'm not due to change my oil just yet.

Here's my 2 cents worth:
DeLorean Midstates Club/Marty Maier (www.midstatedmc.com) sell a new calibrated oil sending unit. The sender measures the oil pressure in your engine and gives you the info on the oil pressure gauge in the dash. My DeLorean VIN 6759 had always the needle on top, pointing to 80psi. Sometimes the needle would drop but not far, and then back to the top again. I think DMC used a standard oil sending unit from Volvo. It probably matches Volvo 100%, but it is wrong calibrated on the DMC. The new oil sending unit is $35 from Mr. Maier. I strongly recommend it. Is it a hard installation? No, you can do it yourself.

Hi!
My scenario. I climbed under the passenger side of the engine, and found the unit at once. The hard part was getting off the old unit. I used some loosening stuff (CRC 5-56) and let it cure for a day. Then I managed to unscrew it. I cleaned the area around it

(No, I didn't get a shot of oil in my face, neither will you, just be sure that the engine is OFF).

I screwed in the new sending unit, and the final installation is the wire at the end of the sending unit. The original wire had an O-ring on the end. I cut that off (the new unit comes with a square connector), then used an electricians tool to strip the insulation off the end of the wire and the squeeze the square connector on.

ONE TIP: BE CAREFUL NOT TO CUT TOO MUCH OF THE WIRE, IF YOU DO IT MAY TURN UP TO BE TOO SMALL TO REACH THE SENDER!

Mine fitted with a little twist to the connector on the sending unit.
Never having done this before, I must admit I was somewhat excited to see if this worked.

Ok, 3 things could happen: 1) The sending unit could be defective 2) The oil would just flow out on the garage floor and 3) Er,...that's it :)

So, I turned the key, the PRV came to life instantly. While idling the oil pressure gauge showed 80 (its suppose to do this while warming up) and after a few minutes it stabilized at 65/70.

In other words, a very successful installation and I strongly recommend Mr. Maiers new calibrated oil pressure sender. Now you really will know whats going on in your engine!

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
NORWAY