[DML] Re: DMC to Diamonds

On the subject of car buyers. I work with individuals for whom the DMC
was designed and marketed for. The successful executive & professional.
Recently a 45-50 year old executive I work with purchased an expensive
collectors car. I asked him what was the deciding factor of his decision to
purchase his particular car. He told me that he has worked very hard for his
money and the last thing that he wanted to do as squander it away. He read
every article that he could get about his final choices for a car. He
especially wanted to read the negative articles. However he wanted to read
what the enthusiast magazines such as Road & Track, Car & Driver, etc., had
to say about the car he was considering. Since in his opinion these magazines
are the sentiments of the automotive collector & community of enthusiasts
considering or dreaming about their collector car.
I asked him about the Internet and if he read any information about his
car from other owners. He responded with an analogy to the DeLorean.
"Your fellow owners are very enthusiastic and supportive. Based on the
information provided to me from the Internet and from magazines articles past
and present I have to say that the DeLorean is not a very good car. The press
said it really didn't live up to sports car standards especially for a
radical concept like the DeLorean. Many of the sports car buffs were
disappointed, however it did sell in small numbers in markets to people that
could afford it."
I wanted to know why he feels that way about the DMC. Afterall the
magazines articles are written by non-DeLorean owners who express their
opinion and driving impressions. I wanted his opinion because he is wealthy
enough to create the demand or future market for the DeLorean. His desire and
dream to own an EXPENSIVE 1963 Ferrari he could justify spending six figures
on a car that needs a full restoration. He never considered owning a car much
less expensive and much less to maintain as the DeLorean. I asked him for his
opinion on the DeLorean.
"I do not own a DeLorean. It has been more of a used car than a
Collectors car. For example, Collectors at Christie's or Sotheby's auction
houses know when a piece of art, or significant piece of automobile history
is on the auction block. The only way to stop someone from buying your dream
car is to out bid them. DeLorean' s are also expensive to maintain as a used
car. However most of the time when they are on the block they look beat up or
run like it. Someone is not going to out bid someone over a piece of shit.
Collectors will want to own something of quality, precision and notoriety."
I explained to him that through careful marketing and planning the
Ferrari could now be considered the ultimate sports car. I see many
calendars with semi-naked women atop a Ferrari. I see them in James Bond
movies, and low budget movies like Cannonball-Run. However any collectors car
is, or will become very expensive to maintain. It's like going to the movies.
The price of admission is reasonable, but the candy and popcorn are a rip
off.
If the DeLorean had that kind of marketing or support in the media,
wealthy executives would want to own what they see. (( I say since the car
is British, we should start a campaign to get the car in the next James Bond
film)). We have the resources to do it. The pen, or keyboard, is stronger
than the sword.