[DML] Re: DOA/DML

Marc and others:
(I'll try to make this as fair as possible so that it gets by the
moderators. I'm a little surprised this thread has gone on as long as it
has this time.) I just read the DOA editorial, and am not at all surprised
by their attitude. It is billed as a non-profit club, but is tightly run by
a small group in LA. I was a loyal DOA member for years, and an advertiser
many times. In the beginning, it was basically all we had. Even though I
ran ads with prices that beat all competitors, one thing struck me as odd -
seldom if ever did I get even an inquiry from anyone listed on the editorial
page as a club officer. They were never supportive of me at all. But
that's okay, I have plenty of other customers who seem to like my services.
But the thing that drove me away was their "our way or get out" attitude and
their unquestioning support of one particular officer and retailer. Many
members who dared to question practices were literally thrown out. One
former board member sent me a verbatim transcript of a board meeting, and it
was shocking. In it, the defacto leader of the club referred to the members
as "nobodys, jerks - who needs them?" and much worse. One of the most
respected members of the DeLorean service community, and a very nice guy,
was forced to resign, saying "his conscience would not allow him to
continue". (There's a lot more to this story, but that's enough for here.)
After many years of trying in vain from a long ways away to get them to
abide by CA non-profit laws, I gave up and quit.

And Robert, good luck to you if indeed you do decide to drop in on a DOA
board meeting representing the DML. I've heard many, many first hand
reports about how that kind of "interference in their business" has been
handled before. Please keep us posted.

As I have said many times, keep up the good work DML. Only a free flow of
information insures that all sides, good and bad, are heard. It will NOT
diminish the value of the car, trust me. It will make for informed
buyers/owners, instead of those who get upset because "nobody warned them"
about some potential problem, usually easily fixed.

--
Darryl Tinnerstet
Specialty Automotive