[DML] Re: Looking at an '83 Delorean

There was an initial difference between the 1981 and 1982 cars. The 1983 are
built in 1982 however they are titled 1983.
You probably know about the slight styling changes. The significant
differences were the updates through the recalls and service bulletins. These
service bulletins covered;

1. Outside mirrors change
2. Key and door lock cylinders change.
3. Wiring harness in the boot change including alternator.

et cetera

Most cared for 1981 cars will have the 1982 updates. The original owners with
Vin's under 1500 suffered the most amount of inconveniences. However I know
of a car with a low VIN that was donated to a local area high school and
totally updated, restored and sold. A gentleman at the Naval Academy in
Annapolis bought it and drove it across the country.
I also know a car that is owned by a doctor less that a mile away. This
car has 1100 miles on the odometer and is completely destroyed. It is an 1983
from KAPAC. He purchased it in 1984 while on a trip to Columbus. He
immediately parked it and put a cover over it. When he offered to sell it to
me, he told me about all of the problems he had with it when he bought it. He
said on the way home, it overheated. Then stalled out.
Pulled to the left under braking. I declined his offer, however I have since
decided to buy a parts car and this one is it.
A listing of all the updates can be purchased through any of the service
centers.

Senator
1981 DMC