[DML] The Resurrection of Vixen Continues...

[DML] The Resurrection of Vixen Continues...

Well,

The Vixen finally saw sunlight for the first time since '89 on Saturday. I
rolled her outside in order to swap the engine to the rear of the garage in
preparation for installation, probably sometime this week.

Rolling her back in, however, was a different story. My driveway has a
slight downhill grade so I needed to enlist the help of my neighbor, George
to roll her back in the garage. George pushed the car back in as if it was
a Matchbox, but then proceeded to stick around for the next 6 hours,
drinking most of my beer and telling me his views on politics, the economy,
and just about everything else he could think of. All I could think of, was
getting back to work on the car. Nothing could get him off of my couch,
though, including when I decided to vacuum my living room. He just couldn't
get the hint.

With that in mind, I have a new determination to never have to push the
Vixen again. The final assembly of the engine is continuing, with tapping
the holes for the turbo oil return lines next. (I also have a turbo
pre-oiler unit, but no instructions. If anyone can help me out on the
install, please drop me a line...)

Peter Lucas also stopped by on Saturday with his D so we could try a door
adjustment together. All I can say is, those torsion bars have a lot of
force on them, eh Peter? And no, we didn't break the window... But, I
think I'll be putting on my doors -before- I install the rear window, just
in case.

Speaking of windows, I got my windshield last week. I believe I am going to
have a UV coating applied before the installation. There are new clear
films available that block 98% of UV rays. Seeing how prone D's are to
dash/binnacle cracking, and the unbearbale heat that can enter the car
through that amazingly large greenhouse windshield, I think this is just a
necessity.

I also took the opportunity to catch up a bit on the Project Vixen web
site. It's as up-to-date as I could get it, with one more update coming
this week when I get my film back. I invite you to check it out, and to
(here comes the plug) be a part of the restoration by buying a pair of the
"Backside to the Future" videos, by following the links on the site.
http://www.ProjectVixen.com

Amazingly, I got this email last week:

SALVATORE CELESTE wrote:

> Dear Dave,
>
> I just got through browsing your website and I still can't stop
> laughing! It seems that we both purchased our Deloreans in the very
> same condition (completly disassembled for 19years) and on the very same
> day....and that's no s**t! For a while there I thought that I was the
> only lunatic spending every free moment at Home Depot, Auto Zone and Pep
> Boys looking for glue and spray paint! I will assume that we are at
> about the same stage of progress as our restoration techniques are
> almost identical except that I have access to an Airco welder and a
> parts car...At any rate, I just wanted to drop you a line to let you
> know how much I enjoyed your website! Stick with it brother, you're
> doing a fine job!
>
> Sal

So... there are at least TWO of us this insane. Who would have thought?
=) =)

-Dave

Dave Stragand, VIN 5927
http://www.ProjectVixen.com