[DML] Vixen Engine Mods and Such...

Hi All,

I think I might not have made myself clear on the machine work I'm going
to get done on the heads and int/exh manifolds. I am -delaying- the
work, not skipping it entirely. I most certainly do want to squeeze as
much power as possible out of the little PRV, but I do want to get it
finished first.

The folks at my dad's company who will be performing the work will be
doing so on a "when we get time" basis. There is no estimated time of
completion. It might be a month, but then again, it may be well over a
year. It would be a lot easier to wait, if I knew I only had to wait
until a certain date, than to always be wondering when the work might be
done. I have a spare set of heads and intake that they will be working
on while I continue the current build-up, so in actuality both will be
occuring at the same time. If they get done sooner, I'll bolt 'em in.
If not, I'm covered.

This also gives me time to explore a few other items I'd possibly like
to try: Renault Alpine low-compression pistons and higher performance
cams (better with the turbos), and possibly parts from the 1990/91 Dodge
Monaco / Eagle Premiere (3.0L PRV w/EFI).

Why go to all this trouble when I could get a lot more power out of an
engine swap instead? I personally favor making the most of what you
have. To me, modifications are more of a challenge than a swap. That's
not to say that I wouldn't love sticking a 440 Hemi or perhaps a Chevy
LS-1 454 Aluminum block back there, because I would! I just get more of
a challenge squeezing blood from a stone. I made my '79 Chevy Monte
Carlo get 375 HP peak on the dyno, and got 29 MPG highway out of her to
boot. I'd like to try for 300HP/25MPG on the Vixen. Anything is
possible if ya' give it enough good shots.

For me, pulling the heads is only a day's job, and maybe $60 in
expenses. I think it's best to get the current setup working well
first, than wait indefinitely to go whole hog. Even a whole hog starts
with a little piglet, you know... =)

-Dave Stragand, #5927
dave.stragand [at] ketchum.com
http://ProjectVixen.com