[DML] Re: transmission problems

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, David Jacobs (NEC) wrote:

> I have heard rumors about being able to replace the transmission with a
> Porsche 6 speed.
> I don't know how accurate that information is, but it's worth looking into.

I suppose I should respond because I probably started the rumor. :}

First, the original poster needs a new clutch, not a new transmission;
Centerforce makes a DeLorean clutch which is reportedly better than the
stock all around - better engagement, more clamping force, yet with an
easier pedal action.

Discussion of Porsches follows; stop here if you don't care. :}

This is not a bolt in swap by any means - the mounts are different, and
the bolt pattern. The axles will need to be modified (not a stupendously
difficult job for a machine shop). And some tweaking would have to be
done to the shifter linkage. In other words this is not a simple task.

The reason I suggested the Porsche G50/50 6-speed transmission at all is
for a few reasons...
1) It is very very sturdy
2) If you are doing an engine swap, you are going to need a transmission
adapter anyway, so you will be spending a lot of the money regardless
3) It has six speeds and a variety of available gear selections. Lower
final drive gears make for better acceleration. This type of upgrade is
not available for the DeLorean transmission.
4) It is approximately the same size and shape as the DeLorean
transmission and would probably fit without having to modify the
undercarriage.

Note that I have not done this conversion - though I have been mulling it
over (along with a turbo rotary to make it necessary) and hope to start
sometime this year.