[DML] transmission problems

For those of you thinking about engine swaps or other mods to radically
increase performance, a word of warning - the weak link of the 5 speed
transmission appears to be its two-piece input shaft. I found out the hard
way that it isn't quite up to the torque produced by a 300hp supercharged
Chevy engine. On our way home Sunday night from a Pacific Northwest
DeLorean Club outing, I was hot rodding a little too much on a freeway
on-ramp in 3rd when I tore the splines out of the input shaft coupler. This
is actually the second time I've had a problem with the coupler - the first
time, the roll pin which holds the coupler onto the mainshaft worked its way
out and cut the steel sleeve around the shaft in two. I thought about having
a one-piece shaft made, but the main shaft has gears on it, making that
prohibitive. You can't weld the coupler on either, as this would prevent
the bearings and seals from being installed or replaced. If anyone has any
suggestions about how to strengthen this shaft I'm interested.

When it failed, we coasted to the next off-ramp and phoned PNDC president
and all around good guy Arnie Brandon, who with his wife Helen came to our
rescue with their "Mothership" Airstream motor home and car dolly. They
towed us all the way home, about a 180 mile round trip. Help (and friends)
like that are what belonging to a club like PNDC is all about. Thank you
again Arnie and Helen.

--
Darryl Tinnerstet