[DML] Re: DMC overweight..... I don't think so!!!

[DML] Re: DMC overweight..... I don't think so!!!

>The Porsche 928 and many modern sportscars are much heavier than the
>Delorean's 2712 ibs weight.

I think most modern (and the older) sportcars can move their weight quicker
though! The DeLoreans engine is quite unimpressive by todays standards -
2.85 litres producing just 130bhp? Honda's VTi engine can get 160bhp from a
1.6, nearly half the capacity! But thats TODAY - the DeLorean was then. The
major grumble is with performance, but with a 0-60 of 8 seconds (is that a
realistic estimate people?) it's comparable with many of todays mid-range
"fun" (as opposed to serious) sportsters... Mazda MX-5, Nissan 200sx, etc..
They have the same or better performance from smaller engines but they've
had an extra 15-20 years of research/developemnt time. Serious sports car
it's not - it will never out-run a Porsche, but as a seriously cool
head-turner of a classic, you can't beat a DeLorean. No-one buys it one for
it's performance, people buy it for what it is, a truly timeless classic.
Immortalised (sorry, but it was) by the Back to the Future films and
recognised as a rarity by everyone.

If you have the readies available, it can be uprated to shift like a modern
sports car (A million DML messages testify to that) but I really think
you're missing the DeLorean "point" if that's your main concern. If you want
a car to leave others standing at the traffic lights, you can buy one MUCH
younger for the same money that will do that. But you'll be hard pushed to
find one for the money that will have the same impact *anywhere* that the
DeLorean has.

Tris Harvey-Rice
98042236@xxxx
PS. I should point out Chris, that I'm not having a go at you, I'm agreeing
with you! I just haven't followed the thread back far enough to see who was
complaining about the DMC's weight!