[DML] Re: Quality Price/Performance (was: Restoring a D)

[DML] Re: Quality Price/Performance (was: Restoring a D)

I agree with Gus. When you buy any older car it will need TLC. It seems so
many people are upset about how many repairs are required after they
purchased there 20 year old DeLorean. I think we all agree the DMC is much
more than just an old car, it's something we all want to own and drive with
confidence and pride. As much as I like our car it's still just a machine
and requires regular maintenance and repair.

Shiraz J. Cupala wrote:

Hmm. This worries me a little. I just bought #2860 and intend to use
it as a daily driver after DMC Houston is done with some basic repairs
and lowering. $1,600 per year is not cheap. What kind of repairs are
people finding beyond the basic maintenance like on any car (oil, etc)?

Sorry Shiraz, I'm not picking on you.

Here again though, the car is almost twenty years old. Add to that it's
short production history and any chance of the company having time to fix
problems, you have a car that needs at the very least regular upkeep. GM
produces maybe 100,000 Camero's a year since the late sixties while DeLorean
produced 8500 in three.
If you purchase a DeLorean at whatever price or mileage its like any other
car, you will need to spend some time and money to bring it up to date and
then it becomes the car you wanted. Some talk about the "good deal" as if
their car won't require the repairs ours did. In truth, all cars like this
require regular maintenance and then some. It's special.

O.K. I feel better now.

Mike Atkinson
vin 16232