[DML] Re: Lowering (and speeding in Toronto)

[DML] Re: Lowering (and speeding in Toronto)

Let me start by saying that "handling quality" is highly subjective. From
looking at the various magazine reviews of the car when it was produced,
one wonders if they were even testing the same car.

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Shannon Larratt wrote:

> at and as far as I can tell is in really great shape. Perhaps I'm
> overly critical -- my other "daily driver" is a 2000 Audi TT Quattro
> which of course has truly superior handling. I've never owned a

The DeLorean should have handling in the same general category as the TT,
your RX-7 (except for the truly amazing '92+ RX-7s), or a late 70's or
80's vintage Porsche 911 - especially if it's been lowered. It will be
better at some things, and worse at others.

> normal car, but I have rented them occasionally for business and
> outside of a Hyundai Excel which was truly horrible, all them would
> outhandle the Delorean (I realize that's it's not fair to compare
> 1970s technology to a 2000 model car, and I'm not really complaining,

Sure it is. Suspension technology hasn't changed much in the past 20
years, and when it has, it either doesn't really improve handling
(push-button adjustable suspension, antilock brakes, etc), or it's readily
adaptable to older cars (tires, brake pads).

A DeLorean *should*:
Track straight at any speed
Ride smoothly (albeit firmly) at any speed
Turn in crisply
Provide excellent steering feedback
Brake smoothly, predictably and powerfully
Exhibit neutral steering, with just a touch of understeer at the limit
Spin if brakes are used heavily in a turn :}
Exhibit moderate body lean in hard cornering
Develop lots of grip for turning, especially with decent tires
Go exactly where you point it.

In my opinion, all of these are essential components of good handling
(except maybe the spinning :} ). And the DeLorean is up to the task.

If your primary handling concern is turning radius at parking lot speeds -
then yes, the DeLorean does quite poorly in that department. It's also
not particularly comfortable, the steering isn't especially light, and if
you panic, you might lose control of it. Like all cars, the DeLorean's
design is a series of compromises. But for freeway cruising, flying down
the back roads at socially unacceptable speeds, or dodging those careless
pickup trucks - you'll have to look pretty hard to find something better.