[DML] Re: Hot start Voltage problem

A few years ago I had an '85 Toyota Tercel 4WD with the exact same
problem...tested the alternator, it was fine, all the fuses were OK, we
couldn't figure out what the heck the problem was. In addition to the
battery light coming on, I had to constantly give it gas or it would stall
(maybe this goes without saying, I dunno). I also had a similar problem
in my '81 Mercedes 240D, which turned out to be something wrong with the
diodes in the voltage regulator (someone say something if this isn't
making sense, I'm going off a shaky memory at this point). I
think when the voltage hits a certain point, they switch on and shunt the
excess to ground, and these were stuck somehow in the "shunt" position, so
no significant voltage could be established in the circut. Nevertheless,
both times a new alternator was in order, and the problems went away. I
hope this helps.

--Sandro