[DML] Re: Rip off DeLorean Keys 2

At 02:16 PM 2/27/00 -0000, you wrote:
>Why do people spend $25.00 for a key???,

part 2 continued from part 1
>The blanks for the DeLorean are the most common key shape available (A
>'BL-5' blank commonly used on Volvo cars) and retail at around $5.50 when
>cut. unless you think the plastic emblem on the key is highly important then
>I would suggest you just take your key to a local DIY store, get it copied
>and put a DeLorean Key fob on it. This is still less than half the price of
>buying one for $24.00, If they ask you what car it is of then they may say
>they can't do it but any confident key cutter will know as soon as they look
>at the key that it is a very common type.
>
>Just because your car is rare, don't get ripped off for standard parts such
>as keys!!!!

reply:

Now: When I started I charged $20 dollars for a set of two keys, that's $10 dollars each if you are not clear on the math. For two years there was a waiting line and I was the only source. Last December I finally finished off the waiting list and decided that it would be better if I sold the keys whole sale to the 4 major Delorean suppliers. Of these 4, two carry my keys in both OEM-Black and Seiler-Gray.

consider: I make these key at home in my spare time, after work and on week ends in a little spare room off the kitchen. The keys are produced by hand and require about 4 hours each. To produce the Delorean keys. It took me 3 months (and about $200 dollars in chemicals) in experimenting and testing before I had a passable Delorean key. Eventually I had to build a pressure casting machine to get perfect editions. This all cost money not counting my labor. I assure you that if I included my time and talent in my prices you would not be able to get them at $25 dollars a copy. At $5 dollars an hour (minimum wage in CA.) plus $5.50 for materials, (including blanks I import from England $2 dollars each ) add 99 cents for the shipping envelope, 15 cents for the bubble pack and 62 cents for mailing (with in the USA) the cost of a single key should be $27.28 whole sale, and you can be sure that I charge much less than that at whole sale.

Why so cheap: As I stated before The keys are my way of sharing something special with my fellow Delorean owners, not as you accuse me of "Rip off Delorean Keys". Something for Delorean owners from a Delorean owner. Just where do you get off accusing me of such a thing? I consider your post both ill manners and insulting not to mention Libelous.

My keys are indistinguishable from OEM Delorean produced keys. Like all other car Logo keys are special to the owners. If you are so concerned about getting ripped off, why bother even owning a Delorean in the first place? Why do you use dmc12 as a part of your e-mail address? After all there are lots of 81 vintage cars that you can gets parts for in any car parts shop. They come in lots of colors, don't require different sized tires and best of all don't have Logo keys. Its hard to understand how any one who would want to draw attention by using dmc12 in their e-mail address would then fail to see the value of a hand made OEM ignition/door key

Don't bother posting an apology!

Lee

CAUTION : Any individual or group discharging a nuclear device or weapon
inside Los Angeles city limits may be fined $500 - and/or serve 30 days in county jail.

It's the LAW!