[DML] Check you engines! (it could save you $$$$ in the long run)

[DML] Check you engines! (it could save you $$$$ in the long run)

Some of you may remember when I did a "Guess the Mystery Part" contest on my
website. At that time, I thought that the part that was found in my engine
was from when the engine was cast. This little piece of epoxy resulted on
the failure of my engine at about 30,000 miles. I now know better.

<<I have posted pictures in the vault under the Engine_Block folder relating
to this post>>

If you look at the top of the engine block, there are 4 "holes" that can
accumulate a bunch of liquid and gunk. This stuff can erode the metal that
the engine block is made out of. Sometime during the life of my car, this
happened. The "engine block" and "bad block" pictures show where these
areas are. After the engine had developed a hole, someone filled the hole
with epoxy (see epoxy picture). this hole leads down into the main oil
reservoir (correct me if I am wrong) this epoxy stopped the oil from leaking
out of the car, but had the adverse side affect of at least partially
blocking the flow of oil to the engine. . .hence, the parts will wear out
and break down much more quickly than normal.

Take the time to check your engine (or have someone else check it) to make
sure that your engine block is clean and free of any other "gunk" that could
eat through the metal. . .DMC Joe, any advice here? I have also posted a
picture (good_block) of my new (well, new for me) engine block, and although
it is dirty, the metal is in good condition with no pits or corrosion
evident.

e-mail me if you have any questions or comments.

Michael Babb
michael@xxxx

Total cost because someone filled instead of replaced: $6000

Engine rebuild: $4500
New block and additional work: $1500

Total for just new engine block and labor: $1500

amount saved if it had been done correctly the first time: $4500 - ouch!