[DML] Re: Crazy DeLorean Story

While I have heard some strange things before, I don't think that this
story is true. Cement, mortor, or what ever would have been used is not
light weight at all. Next time that you go to a hardware store, look at
a 60 lb. bag of cement, it's really not that big at all. Now add the
additional weight of the water that would be used to mix it (8 lbs. per
gallon!). Pouring wet concrete onto the car would have crushed the
windshield, hood & louvers, if not the majority car as well. In
addition, the cement will expand and contract with the temperature
changes in the weather. In this case, the cement would easily crack and
because it would not expand and contract at the same rate as the metal
& fibreglass underneath. Example: the same thing will happen when if
you don't use the spacers while installing the rear view mirror onto
the windshield. To prevent this, both expansion joints would have to be
used, and the concrete layer applied would have to be at least no
thinner than 3 inches thick (4-5 in more severe climates). This is
because there wouldn't be anything underneath to absorb the heat, and
let the concrete expand/contract graduly and evenly. Concrete might
then "chunk off" the car. Another reason might be that the cement may
not properly adhear to the surfaces because they would be too smooth.
Unless of course they doused the car in Elmers White Glue first (a
trick used to adhear a newly poured layer of concrete to the old, cured
layer underneath). If all this was done, the end result would probably
be a lump of concrete, rather than something that resembles a DeLorean.

-Robert