[DML] Re: limited edition - 1

At 06:44 PM 2/5/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Ok, I know I going to sound like an idiot asking this, but............
>
>What exactly is this "limited edition DeLorean"

>Thanks!!
>
>--Jonathan #000697

The DeLorean Limited Edition is a 1/ 24th scale model car kit of the 1981
DeLorean, created using the dimensions of my own 81 DMC-12. The kit was started a few years ago after another DML member had started a similar project which was never completed. (I don't recall the members name or why it was never completed)
After some research and discussions here on the DML it was decided to attempt to produce a limited number of DeLorean kits. After some initial stumbling blocks and a very expensive legal problem the production became a commissioned art project in which a then standing reservation list was converted in to a commissioned art item. (So instead of creating a product and offering it for sale, the edition owners pay me to create a kit as a work of art just for them with a limitation of 100 total commissions.)
>From that point it took about 3 months to attempt building the various parts required to produce an accurate 1/24th scale model. An out of date kit of the "Back to the Future" movie car was used as a starting point and donor kit. The floor pan, seats and other interior parts were kept as is, with a new body, doors, boot and louver being created first in wax, then in a polyester resin. The resin parts were then reworked, using small hand files and sandpaper into the final dimensions. These "master-patterns" were used to produce the production dies. which have to be replaced about every 20 uses. Bear in mind that this is all hand work "kitchen table engineering" as they say.
This all took many months to do before the first kits could be created. As these were being produced, alterations had to be made as I learned how to do the required work.
The most difficult part was coming up with a resin formula and a casting die formula that could be used at room temperature and produce dimensionally stable kit parts. I eventually had to build a pressure casting machine to reduce the polyester frothing problem that occurs if the moisture level is above a certain point.
Quality: The quality is as good as I can do by hand. I use a very sensitive Acculab 105B scale to measure out the resin polymers. Also a salt water aquarium temp sensor to maintain a constant temperature in the casting machine. This allows only 20 seconds of polyester resin mixing time and 30 seconds to fill the dies and apply pressure to prevent any frothing. I inspect each part and match the parts by batch mixing so that the working properties of the parts of each kit match. I make the kit boxes and the interior partitions, bubble pack the bodies to prevent distortion and/or damage. Each kit's box art is Personalized to the edition owner and printed on my home printer. The manual and box art are in full color.
The are 100 stainless and 10 - 24Kts Gold kits in the limited edition, once these pass to their owners that's it. From the beginning there has been a waiting list to purchase one of these numbered editions. At one time this list had over 600 names on it. Today there is no list.
Of the numbered editions there are still 6 stainless and 6 - 24Kts Gold kits available.

The edition issue is nearly complete. When the last edition is shipped I will announce the closing and issue the edition certification, register it and send registration/transfer certificates to all edition owners. This is like a cars pink slip and used to prove authentication and carried the edition documentation.

to see a pictorial history of the edition got to:

http://www.totalimmersion.com/silver6.html

The kits cost $140 + shipping and ins - to DML members

-end part one-

Fumblefinger
AKA - Lee

CAUTION : Any individual or group discharging a nuclear device or weapon
inside Los Angeles city limits may be fined $500 - and/or serve 30 days in county jail.

It's the LAW!