[DML] Re: Engine Conversions and Forgotten Sports Cars

[DML] Re: Engine Conversions and Forgotten Sports Cars

> Akinaishi@xxxx wrote:
>
> In one year (2001) I believe that will make your
> car 20 years old and thus emissions exempt.

Perhaps. I don't know about the "20 year" rule but if that is the
case you still need to know that in the meantime ANY change in ANY
car's emissions control system is unlawful under federal EPA law.
That includes ANY engine swap of the sort that is commonly reported
about in this forum. Any vehicle built since, I think it is, 1980
MUST meet the EPA guidelines established for that particular vehicle
at the time it was manufactured. A sample vehicle of each and every
configuration is required to pass strict EPA testing and any deviation
from that particular vehicle's testing criteria is federally unlawful.
ANY change in ANY emission control component must be certified by EPA
emissions testing guidelines. That would include, but not be limited
to, something as simple as removing the catalytic convertor, altering
the ignition timing, or using something other than factory specified
spark plugs.

For example, under federal law, it would be unlawful to install a
turbo "kit" on your car unless an original factory configuration
incorporating that change was tested and approved for that exact
modification under EPA guidelines. Any person found guilty of a
violation of EPA laws is subject to a substantial fine and/or
prison. Typically these laws are enforced at the local or state
level and many local or state level enforcement agencies could not
care less about federal EPA laws regarding vehicle emission control.
Any number of these laws are violated routinely and daily, but please
be advised that these laws ARE on the books and CAN be enforced. Some
states, California for example, are VERY strict in enforcing federal
EPA laws.

Regards,
Ed Thompson (#6419 since 1982 and still for sale)
Midlothian, VA