[DML] The Resurrection of Vixen Continues...

[DML] The Resurrection of Vixen Continues...

Hi All,

I've now travelled 1822.6 miles getting parts for the Vixen (#5927).
That's exactly 101.2 miles more than the poor D has ever travelled in
it's lifetime.

But anyway, the teardown and rebuild of my engine(s) is the latest
job-in-process in the Last Chance Garage. Engine work to me is the
biggest pain, with the most rewards. Of course, everything needs to be
scrupulously clean, and every piece and part must fit exactly. There's
never a "close enough" when dealing with the insides of an engine. To
think otherwise is to invite disaster. But when you're done, you have
the satisfaction of a finely-tuned motor that you built yourself.
There's no other feeling like it.

So, with that thought in mind I dove in and started grinding all of the
molten plastic off of my newly-acquired parts engine. It was involved
in an engine fire (my personal paranoia) and my hope is that lightning
never strikes twice...

Between the two, I hope to put together one good motor.

So, assuming everything goes as planned, the engine will be all
reassembled in about 2 weeks. I'll also be picking up the brand-new
twin-turbo kit from the previous owner. It's the same setup as
currently sold by Turbo Manifold Company. I read through the
instructions that were included with the sales literature from them, and
found that both the distributor and a couple of water pipes need to be
returned to TMC for modifications. I wonder what their policy is on
someone taking 10 years to return those parts?

I'd appreciate hearing from any folks who have done the install
themselves... and hoping I might be able to lean on you for a little
help if I have any questions about the install. Please drop me a line
privately if you're willing to help.

If any of you remember back that far, I had a 12-step process for
building the car:

step one: suspension, brakes & steering linkage
step two: running all the lines/wires along the frame
step three: reattaching the pontoon
step four: radiator
step five: fuel tank
step six: interior air box assemblies & dash reassembly
step seven: transmission and linkage
step eight: engine block
step nine: engine bolt-ons & turbos
step ten: body
step eleven: interior, windshield, rear glass
step twelve: tuning, safety checks, final touches

I'm mostly done with 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, and halfway done with 8. Things
are moving pretty fast. I may actually have a driving chassis by the
end of February. Unfortunately, that's about the time my money looks
like it will run out... but, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, I
suppose. At least I'll be able to zoom around my neighborhood in one
odd-looking, bodyless, twin-turbo beasty. =)

-Dave, #5927
dave.stragand@xxxx
Live DMC Restoration Webcam!
http://www.camarades.com/userpage.php3?resource=945530500/