[DML] Why DMC-12?

There are two popular explanations for the "12" designation, neither
of which has been ever confirmed by anyone that "really knows". First,
there is popular belief that "12" represents the original target price
of $12,000. I never thought this was likely because I have never
believed that anyone close to the project thought that was a realistic
goal. Second, and most likely, is that it was the "12th" incarnation
of the original design that was finally chosen to be tweaked for
production.

As an aside, the earliest designs from Ital Design were designated
"DSV" for "DeLorean Safety Vehicle", also known as the "Allstate-DeLorean",
the first being the DSV-1. Drawings of the DSV-2 version dated July 31,
1975 appear on pages 42-43 of the book "Stainless Steel Illusion". These
drawings very closely resemble the final version of the DMC-12.

Until recently I always thought the designation was derived from the date
I purchased my DeLorean, on a "D"elightful day in "M"ay, "C"uriously
on the "12"th. I thought I was the only one with a DMC-12. Or not.

Regards,
Ed Thompson (#6419 since 1982)