[DML] Re: engine cover support

For several years I have marketed a replacement plastic slide to hold the
engine cover up that had 4 mounting holes instead of the original two,
because of the problem of the cover holes breaking out. They work slick and
were quite reasonable. However, I am currently out of them, and the shop
that makes them for me is so far behind I don't know when I will ever get
more. If there is enough interest, I may seek out another manufacturer.

On my own car, as part of cleaning up the engine compartment, I eliminated
the entire engine cover support mechanism. I fabricated a hook on the
underside of the louver that catches the u-shaped latch pin when both covers
are open, and because of the different angle of the louver and engine cover,
they support each other with little or no weight on the gas struts. The
added advantage is preventing ham-handed mechanics from trying to close the
engine cover and breaking the stock support or cover.

--
Darryl Tinnerstet
Specialty Automotive