[DML] Front spindle & angle drive question + DMC Restoration Cam Live!

[DML] Front spindle & angle drive question + DMC Restoration Cam Live!

Hi All,

Work is progressing steadily on #5927. I promise to give more details
later.

I have the front suspension all assembled, but of course now I realize
something is wrong. The spindle spins in the steering knuckle, and I
can't seem to tighten it up from the nut on the back attached to the
angle drive.

The first problem was, I didn't have an open-end wrench large enough to
tighten the bolt, and the angle drive. Obviously a socket won't work on
this nut because of the angle drive, so I was left scouring Pittsburgh
for a 34(?)mm open-end wrench. I had to settle on a large
adjustable-end wrench (which I was fortunate enough to find in
metric!). =)

However, I just can't seem to get a grip on the spindle tight enough to
get any leverage on the nut to either loosen or tighten it. Hopefully
there's a way to do this on the car, so I don't have to pop all of the
new ball joints and steering ball joint to have the spindle pressed in.

Now, I have considered that the spindle, when tightened to the hub, will
probably not spin due to the tension on it between the two nuts.
However, something just doesn't sit right with me on that one.
Primarily, the taper on the spindle would actually be getting -looser-
not tighter as the outside nut was tightened.

I am guessing that the previous owner never tried to take it apart due
to 1) the large size of the nut, 2) there are no markings on the nut
indicating it has been attempted, 3) he didn't take off the other side,
4) the nut seems to be pretty darn well tightened already. Has anyone
ever heard of a spindle loosening up like that under normal use?

Any suggestions? Here's what I have tried thus far:

- tapping the spindle in to get enough friction to turn the angle drive
nut
- gripping the "D" washer with channel locks
- gently heating the nut to try and break it loose (or tight)

I'm considering freezing the spindle with liquid CO2 and tapping it in,
so when it warms back up it expands and gets a grip (I have a large CO2
tank in my garage).

On a related side note, my front wheel bearings seem to have an
interference fit with the spindle. Is this normal? I don't know if the
two new wheel bearings installed in the hubs are correct, as they were
there when I bought the (disassembled) car. Peter Lucas stated his
whole hub slid right off the spindle when he removed the nut. That
sounds more likely to me.

Any help is appreciated on both questions.

Now, the fun part. I spent the last few nights putting together a
'garage computer' with a video camera to allow y'all to see me
assembling #5927 live via the internet. It should be premiering soon.
I'll keep you posted as things progress.

Well, I'm off to Philadelphia in the morning to possibly buy an engine
(yeah, I know, that's cheating), luggage rack, and set of Delorean World
mags. I hope the engine fits in the trunk of my Grand Marquis. A Chevy
350 does, so I guess a D engine will be close.

-Dave
Pittsburgh