[DML] Re: CarFax, Crash test &more...

In a message dated 12/8/99 9:05:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dmcvegas@xxxx writes:

<< Would it be possible to run the
VIN on a car that you currently own through the police? Maybe they
could get better results. Any suggestions?

Any law enforcement entity can look up any vehicles VIN number. It will give
a much more in depth report than carfax.com does. I ran my car through
carfax.com and the information was not totally complete. However the State
Motor Vehicle computers law enforcement agencies use have a much more up to
date history of vehicles recent changes in registration and title changes. I
have run my DeLorean through the computer where I work and it gives more
detail than the interenet obviously. However the interenet cannot publish
private information. This information is also confidential when running them
through a law enforcement network. Everytime a VIN is run, it recorded by
date of lookup and by who and for what reason. We also must sign off in a
record book everytime the system is accesed for criminal or NCIC look ups.
This prevents misuse of private information as it should.

Gary Gore
Activites Director
DeLorean Mid Atlantic