[DML] Re: Automatic opening gullwing doors

[DML] Re: Automatic opening gullwing doors

 Hi Chris,
I have a module installed in my D that has all but the door opening
unit. It looks like you do not yet own a De Lorean and wonder what you
might know about its "guts". I am a retired person who was involved in
electronics all my life and am also a gadget nut.....I have had my D for
abouat 3 years now and purchased it from the original owner, with 3K miles
on it. I know of no units for sale that will address the door opening
question....the one you mentioned may be the one I have as it is commercial,
but it is a universal unit for ALL cars and I am sure no one would have any
interest in putting one out with the door opening features you suggest.
The sales would be too limited. However Darryl Tinnerset in Olympia has
complete information on a "do it yourself" way to do this. I got this from
him a couple years ago but it is just too much tedious work for ME to tackle
at this stage. It requires opening the doors up and some delicate work both
in adding the solenoid and the wiring. It requires a hefty solenoid
preferably a motor driven geared type, as it has to pull a bunch of rods and
cables to unlatch the door mechanically. It needs a special built plate to
mount the solenoid in the correct spot too. It would really be a neat
installation and as Darryl says...it is fun to walk up to the D and hit the
button and without breaking your stride, walk right into the car! Ho Ho.
It is ALMOST as much fun with the unit I have which starts the car remotely,
as well as lock/unlock the doors, turn on headlights, full alarm system and
a bunch of other stuff. BTW, this entailed the installation of two more
relays as the pulses of the units in the D were not of the correct length
and I had to do some extra stuff to make it work in our cars.
It is sure nice to start the car while I am in a restaurant and have it
nice and warm when I go out to it. Ditto in the hot summer with the air
conditioning. Not to mention the comments and looks it gets when someone
sees/hears it start up with no one in it! Makes my day!! Ho Ho.
Best regards
Murray Fisher
Vin: 05962 Lic: DMC-XII
Washington State