[DML] painted delorean

you wrote:

From: james sawyer <mrvideosawyer@xxxx>
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] painted delorean
Date: Wednesday, December 01, 1999 11:15 PM

any easy stripping techniques removing paint from body. My "D" was painted
from dealer.

jim and cindy sawyer #04149

reply:

Hello Jim and cindy,

What a great winter project......Some will tell you that stripping the paint is labor intensive, and in a way that's true, however it's not as hard as it might seam. Your D is most likely painted with "Imron" paint. This can be stripped by using the stripper made for that paint and available from most Auto paint suppliers, one gallon is all you will need. I would suggest calling around and find a source. Then get the "painters" use information. Once you understand what is actually required as opposed to "work intensive" you would be in a better position to decide about paint removal.

In the event that you decide to remove the paint you have some choices, one is : on the car or removing the panels. If you so remove the panels you will see and panel damage when you get the panel off. Contrary to popular modern fables about 302 stainless, dents can be removed. And given you will have to re brush the panels the surface marks left by the straightening won't matter.

Say that you do remove the paint and damaged or not you are ready to re brush the D. You have some choices hear as well. One kind of neat Idea is to polish instead and end up with a very reflective surface instead of the traditional brushed finish. If you do strip the paint and want detailed information on duplicating the brush OEM patterns, write me privately (e-Mail) and I will explain how to do it , what tools are required, and the exact materials you will need and where to get them.

Lee

CAUTION : Any individual or group discharging a nuclear device or weapon
inside Los Angeles city limits may be fined $500 - and/or serve 30 days in county jail.

It's the LAW!