[DML] Re: starter problem

Delorean17@xxxx writes:

> After getting a new battery the other night I attempted to
> start it and got nothing, just a little clicking from
> behind the passenger seat.

I couldn't tell from your description if you were getting repeated relay
clicking sounds or just a single one, so I'm not sure if your symptoms are
the same as some I had at one time. In my case, I had a repeated clicking
noise from behind the passenger seat (several clicks per second) when the
starter would not engage. I had encountered this problem a couple times when
I had battery problems. In my case, the clicking noise behind the passenger
seat was the relay that powers the starter solenoid. The relay clicking on
and off repeatedly was caused by the voltage being too low, so when the
solenoid/starter drew current, the voltage dropped below the voltage
required for the relay to maintain closure, causing it to open. As soon as
the relay opened, the current draw was reduced, thereby allowing the voltage
to rise sufficiently for the relay to activate again. This happens over and
over causing the relay to repeatedly open and close. The cause of my low
voltage condition was a poor ground contact where the battery connects to
the frame (near the trailing arm bolt on the passenger side trailing arm)
causing excessive voltage drop as current draw increased..

Knut