[DML] Re: United Kingdom DMC Registration?

ian@xxxx writes:

> Has anyone in UK / N.Ireland any recent experience of MOTing and
Registering
> their DeLorean. My LHD '81 DMC # 6425 is presently mid-Atlantic on her way
> back home to N.Ireland. I think our system in N.Ireland is less strict than
> the GB (especially some recent amendments in GB to deter Grey Imports?). I
> want to sort out the MOT and Registration while I'm home in N.Ireland for
> Christmas.

Ian,
Unless the car has been previously registered in the United Kingdom then you
will probably need E type approval first of all. This involves meeting all
the current regulatory specifications and having the car meet these at a
special test centre. Secondly to pass the MOT you certainly need to change
over main beam lights (Valeo 5-27-001-39), and depending on which MOT centre
you use you may have to re-wire front side quarter lights as signal
indicators. You are also required to have a rear fog lamp. Instead of
spoiling the rear bumper with an extra lamp it is possible to wire the outer
brake light to double up. And finally the number plate has to be the correct
size front and rear. Everything else is standard.... the MOT centre will
check; seat belts, all lights, wipers, washer, overall condition of car,
tyres, thorough inspection underneath, steering joints, test all brakes on
rollers, and emission test. I passed my MOT just last week.
Best wishes,
Robert Lamrock
Belfast