[DML] Re: dmc northstar conversion

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, Richard Petrie wrote:

> I'm curious with the whole Northstar conversion scenario, is it advisable?

Ooh, engine swaps, my favorite topic :}

> Meaning, was the Delorean chassis designed to handle that kind of
> power/torque? I've heard nightmare stories of similar converstions,
> and just wanted some feedback as to the safety involved ;)

If you've heard nightmare stories of DeLorean conversions, I'd like to
hear them... it would make a good addition to the collective wisdom of the
list.

I've heard of Buick and Chevy V6s, the Northstar V8, a Mazda 13B Wankel,
and a Rover V8 all being successfully transplanted into the DeLorean.
All make more power than the PRV and none of these require any substantive
chassis or body modifications. It is not recommended to do a swap with
the auto trans because it is not a particularly strong unit. "Conventional
wisdom" is that 200 HP is as much power as it will handle. However, if you
desire an automatic transmission, there are modern automatics available
which can handle the power of a new engine. The 5-speed transmission
(like many European transmission of the era) is much stronger than the
emissions-controlled engines they were mated to in the United States and
should handle 300 HP without trouble, or even more if you drive it gently.