[DML] Re: Coolant overflow

> BurkePhoto@xxxx wrote:
>
> This is totally incorrect. Deloreans do, or are supposed to have, overflow
> containers. The original was plastic and was prone to cracking, probably the
> reason some Deloreans are sans container.

Not "totally incorrect" Burke.

Technically, the DeLorean does not have an "overflow container" but rather a
"header bottle assembly", part #101944. Typically an overflow container is
not part of a pressurized system. The container you refer to is an integral
component of the DeLoren's pressurized system and, by design, works as an
expansion chamber for the system, thus eliminating the need for a conventional
overflow container. The system was designed so there would be no "overflow".

Without the header bottle assembly the DeLorean cooling system cannot work
properly as designed.

BTW, if you were to fill the header bottle completely full, there would be
some "overflow" through the "overflow" hose (technically called the air bleed
connection hose, part #100502) to the road, outside of the closed system.
Eventually the expansion will force out enough excess solution fluid so that
there will be enough room in the header bottle to accommodate solution
expansion without further overflow.

Regards,
Ed Thompson (#6419 since 1982)
Midlothian, VA