[DML] Re: Overheating?

At 10:35 AM 10/24/99 EDT, you wrote:
>Is my car overheating???
>Quite often when I crank the car, the cooling fans up front come right on.
They whirl for a bit then stop, then eventually start again. Recently I
was having my car tested for emissions and it had to idle for about 10 to
15 minutes. The fans came on again and this time coolant from the overflow
bottle hit the ground. The temperature gauge shows no sign of overheating.
It never even touches the 220 mark. This always happens while my car is
idling. The car is in Nevada, but the temperature is very cool now so I'd
like to dismiss hot weather as a factor.

>If you have any suggestions or comments or thoughts on the subject, please
email me at 'VegasDMC@xxxx" rather than reply to the moderator.

reply:

Hi Foot rest,

Well having had every coolant problem in the book I think I might have
some insight that could be of help.

1. If your temp gauge is accurate and it never gets to 220 then your D is
not over heating.
2. Assuming this to be true, if your fans are coming on at strange times
then the cut in sensor is not working right. You might think about
replacing it.
3. the only thing that results in coolant on the ground is: a, over full
expansion taken or a week filler cap spring. The expansion tank should
never be more than 1/3 full when cold.
The final and most likely general problem you might have is air in the
coolant system.
This can be cleared up by proper burping of the system and or an auto air
purging system, which is out lined in a DMC world magazine. I think one of
the DML list members also sells a kit for this as well. You might also
check with the NCDMC in California, one of their members has crested a
number of kits for it's members.

Lee

support@xxxx

NOTICE TO BULK EMAILER: Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5,
Subchapter II, 227, any and all unsolicited commercial e-mail sent
to this address is subject to a download and archival fee in the
amount of $500 US.
E-Mailing denotes acceptance of these terms.