[DML] Re: Stainless Steel Illusion

> Michael Reinemuth wrote:
>
> Did anybody know the original sales price, publishing year, and printed copies
> of "stainless steel illusion"?

I assume you are referring to the hardback 1st edition by John Lamm, then senior
editor of "Road & Track", with commentary by Mike Knepper, former DMC executive.

The book is titled "De Lorean" and subtitled "Stainless Steel Illusion". (Note the
space between "De" and "Lorean". That is correct. Throughout the book that is how
the name of the man and the car is printed.)

It was published by The Newport Press of Santa Ana, CA in 1983, printed in
Singapore, and distributed by Motorbooks International of Osceola, Wisconsin.
The book was published while De Lorean was waiting trial for the cocaine deal
and before he was acquitted.

According to Lamm, the book originally "....was to be the story of a dream car
come true, an adventure in advanced engineering and skillful marketing, an
inspiration for those who believe they have a better idea....."

Newport Press ISBN: 0-930880-09-9

Library of Congress card number: 83-60220

If you really want to know how many copies were printed I'm sure either The Newport
Press or Motorbooks International would be happy to look up that figure for you.
Give 'em a call!

If you are interested, Barnes and Nobel's online network of out-of-print dealers
lists one for sale at $325.

Regards,
Ed Thompson (#6419 since 1982)