[DML] Re: Radio cutout/ was: Turbo and Audio

[DML] Re: Radio cutout/ was: Turbo and Audio

> The DeLorean dash board has a metal plate that is cut for a
> older style shaft radio. (Part # 106639, Page 7-3-0)
>
> There on not many of them left, so when you find them they are
> expensive.
>
> Some owners have chosen to not cut the plate, and install a
> newer shaft style unit. Kenwood had (I think it was discontinued
> recently) a unit that was shaft style, and would control a CD
> changer. If you can still find one, (Model 3001) they had a
> reasonable price. If you want a basic system, or even a single
> amplifier this is a good choice. If you are a audio maniac
> (like myself) I dont think this unit will meet your requirements.
>
> Other owners have simply cut the plate. I am currently in
> the situation of making this decision. I have my speaker box
> almost complete (details to follow), all the amplifiers and
> speakers are in my garage, and the DIN style head unit is in
> the mail. The way I look at it, my choices are:
>
> 1. Cut the thing, and destroy a rare original part.
> 2. Wait until I find someone who has one that is cut already
> that wants to go back to stock.
> 3. Wait until someone makes a aftermarket reproduction at a reasonable
price.
> 4. Have a reproduction made locally.
>
> The real WAY out option is to hope that someone makes a high
> quality shaft style CD controller or MP3 player.
>
> As far as "how" to cut, any decent car stereo installer should be able
to cut it for you.

I went ahead and cut the plate. I don't feel that this hurts the value
of the car because kits are made to switch a DIN cutout back to a shaft
style. Put in one of those and the stock radio and you won't be able to
tell the difference. This is a minor originality item compared to the
major difference it makes to have a clean sounding stereo. OK, it'll
cost you a few points in your next concours, but I like to drive my car
too, not just show it.

However, great care should be taken when cutting the opening. Unless
you're very good at such work I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself.

Ken Montgomery	Sacramento, CA VIN #10911 'OUTTIME'
http://www.jps.net/arkham/delorean01.htm mailto:kenm@xxxx
Northern California DeLorean Motor Club
http://members.tripod.com/ncdmc/
Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory