[DML] Dick Ryan etc. etc.

I'm a bit in awe of the fact that there will now be many messages in the
archives that will be searched using my name. Wow, recorded for posterity!

Chris Hawes asked about experiences with the twin turbo set-up. Here's an
overview.

I've been drving twin turbo's since 1988. First on an 81 automatic and now
on an 83 manual. Between the two cars I have about 70,000 miles experience
with the Island Turbo kit.

I drove the 81, automatic, about 50,000 miles after the turbo installation.
I would not turbo an automatic again. It is hard to maintain the rpms
necessary to get the boost to make the turbos worthwhile. In order to make
best use of the turbos, I did a lot of "shifting" with the automatic.
This, in turn, may be why I had some transmission problems. Also, I had
the wastegates set at 7.5 lbs. That produced too much detonation. I did
put on an aftermarket knock sensor which would retard the timing when it
detected pinging, but I was never satisfied with it.

The 83 manual is a wholly different story. It is easy (and fun) to work
the gears to maintian the rpms necessary to go into boost almost instantly.
Yes, there is a little lag, but not too much since the IHI turbos are
quite small. I have these units set up at 6 lbs.

Overheating: that was a problem until I replaced the original radiator
with a brass, triple core unit (PJGrady). Now, I run as cool or cooler
that stock D's.

Sound: Yes, it sounds "like a V-8". It is a fairly low, throaty sound.
For some it might be a bit loud, but a resonator tip could lower the
decibels a bit more.

Mpg: Depends on how you drive it. I just finished a 4000 mile trip in two
weeks with some DeLorean friends. Drove a couple of days on Interstates @
80mph for hours. Then, drove in mountainous country for much more of the
time. I've thrown away my exact mpg calculations, but I think I averaged
23-25 mpg for the trip.

Are they worth the expense? If you really drive your car, especially out
on the open roads, I'd say absolutely yes. They turn the DeLorean into a
very competent road car.
If you only drive the car a 1000 or so miles per year as many seem to do,
then I'd probably say NO, unless you have money to throw away.

Hope that answers the turbo questions. Any other questions can be directed
to me privately at <raddad@xxxx>

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867