[DML] Re: Vinyl Dyeing

David

The key to successful vinyl dyeing is to get the surface to be
dyed as clean as possible. All traces of dirt, vinyl protectants
like Armour-All, and lint must be removed or the dye will not
adhere properly. I would recommend removing the dash
from the car to do this properly. If there are any cracks in
the dash, skip this process and go directly to Just Dashes
or similar shop and have the dash recovered.

It pays to stick to a single dye system. There
are several available, I like to use Ditzler. The Ditzler system
has a cleaner, a vinyl conditioner and of course, the dye.
The dye needs to be applied with a spray gun on a surface
as big as the dash. You should also use a flex agent in the
dye.

Some upholstery repair shops will be able to do
this for you if you don't have the equipment. You might
also try a body shop that restores cars, not one that just
does collision repair.

Mike Griese
Storage Software Development Manager
IBM Storage Systems Division