[DML] Cost of a decent D

I have to disagree with you. Most dealers have little idea what a DeLorean
is worth. I bought my D from a dealer, and he sold it very reasonable
considering its low mileage, 6301, and excellent condition because he thought parts were non-existent.

- Most dealers also know about Hemmings, and have some general idea about what a D is worth. It seems, however, given the thin market for DeLoreans, that the price can vary wild from region to region, time of year and particular transaction. Don't buy a D for an investment- it is not a good one. Buy it because you like it. Should our cars "appreciate" in value, given the time it takes to keep them in running order, just means that we have lost less money that most.

I think when you actually go and see these cars that are described as "mint" for under $15000 you will be sorely disappointed.

-As you suggested, you might be suprised and truly come across a very very nice car for cheap. In fact, if someone is dilligent in their search, patient and a decent negotiator- and perhaps willing to do a little work- a bargain D can still be had for under 15K.

Mint condition is one of those terms that people who know very little about cars throw around to attract buyers.

-Again, I would disagree. There are very well known criteria as to what a mint or near mint DeLorean should be. And, as other have said, it is not necesarily a low milage car. But it is a car with a clean interior, good seats, electronics and fuel systems clean and working, a body without unsighly flaws, with rubber and plastic not discolored and where needed, replaced and a frame that is not bent and reasonably free of rust. That's a near mint/mint DeLorean. And they can be found for 15 or so for someone wanting to search.

-If you think anything above $15000 is too much for a D, check the latest NADA guide to classic and exotic cars. I believe you'll be surprised.

More than 15K is perhaps a good price for a D, but consider the work that needs to go into one. It seems to me that a well established broad guide exists for D pricing. 10K is probably a runner with some significant problems. I believe a "new" D from Delorean One is 37K, with warranty. I would assume that's the top of the market. Anything in between is pure speculation. Just be sure to add on the labor and the parts costs to bring the car up to where you need it to be (and then 1-2K a year on average for maintainance and improvements).

I'd like to know who has a 0 mileage D still in the plastic for $20000.

Again, the perfect D today, 20 years later, is not going to have 0 miles on it. It needs to be turned on and at least warmed up every few weeks, every month, every year. At one mile a week, that is a car with 1,000 miles on it. And most people who love there cars will take them out more than that. Furthermore, D's are notoriously easy to change the miles on the car, so look at things like the pedals, seat, steering wheel, etc to find signs of how the car was used and how much of it has been used. I would rather buy DeLorean Joes personal 100K ++ mile car than someone who has garaged his car since 82 and hasn't driven it much since...

David Levey
Cleveland

To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address to moderator@xxxx