[DML] Re: Door/Roof Seal

Dave wrote:

>I have removed the door/roof seal from both doors (part numbers
106967/8) because they are both shot. I am going to replace the rubber
and rivet the seals back to the doors. But I have a question, what holds
the other side of the seal to the "T" top? It looks like the rubber seal
part is loose and slides under the "T" top section of the roof when the
door is closed. Is this correct?<

Dave - the top seal has a special shape to help it clear the t-section
as the door opens and closes and to help it seal against the lower
surface of the t-section. A flat piece of rubber won't quite
work as intended.

The seal looks something like this viewed from the edge:

t-section top of door
_____________ _________
\__/---+--- <-------- seal

The seal is attached to the top of the door by as set of stainless
steel rivets and a shaped stainless backing plate. The curve helps
the seal clear the edge of the t-section as the door moves and
provides some spring to keep the seal against the lower
surface of the t-section.

Mike Griese
Storage Software Development Manager
IBM Storage Systems Division