[DML] 5-SPEED IS NOW A 2-SPEED

Cole,

It seems your problem maybe similar to the one I had a couple of weeks ago
whereby the two pivot pins which hold the gear selector linkages together
(beneath the console), work their way out causing the gear lever to become
partially inoperative.? I'm sure that this mechanical failure is notuncommon
and I certainly hope you get more responces to your problem and how to fixit
than I did!!!! Below is a copy of what I posted to the DML on 16 May which
may
give you a few ideas.?

Lance Haslewood
Sydney, Australia

While out driving this week, I could not get reverse gear (5 Speed).?After a
little manouvering, I managed to drive off in first gear.?? Afterdriving a
short distance I noticed that the gear selector was getting aprogressively
sloppy and eventually I could only select 3rd and 4th gears. Luckily we
weren't
far from home and managed to nurture the DeLorean back.? Uponinvestigation I
found that the two steel pins which held the gear selector assembly to the
mounting plate (under the console) had worked loose and the lever wasactually
'floating' .? It was attached only to the selector rod.

The fact that the pins had worked loose caused some concern.? What
concerned me
most was the possibility of them working loose again and to determine someway
of preventing a reoccurrence.? When I reinstalled the pins, I could notget a
tight fit which meant they would eventually work their way out again.? Tofix
the problem, I drilled a hole at each side of the mounting bracket abovewhere
the pins slide through.? I then inserted the pins and drilled into eachpin to
about 1/16 of an inch.?? The holes in the bracket were then threaded to
accommodate a small bolt.? I reassembled the the gear linkage assembly,
inserted the pins and locked them in place using the locking bolts with a
small
dab of medium Locktite.

Question .... has anyone else experienced a similar problem, and if so, how
was
it overcome?

Lance? Haslewood (Squadron Leader RAAFRSG)
45 Fullerton Crescent
BLIGH PARK? New South Wales? Australia? 2756
Ph: 61 2 4572 5281 (Home)
Fax: 61 2 4572 5414 (Home)
Cell: 0414 295 888
e-mail:?lanceh@xxxx