[DML] Re: DML: Quality Questions

Christopher Mack said:

> I have heard from various sources that DeLoreans
> built during 10/81-12/81 were higher quality than
> other build months. In SSI, it mentions that during
> 11/81 production was DOUBLED from 40 to 80
> cars per day. This being the case, I'd expect DeLorean
> quality to decline since not as much time could be
> spent on each car....Am I right about this or totally
> wrong?? Please let me know

Where did you hear this? I believe it is absolutely wrong. I have heard
the opposite, that these cars had pretty LOW initial quality due to the
production rate increase. Either way, after 18 years initial quality is
just a bit of historical trivia. It has little to do with the cars as
you see them today.

As I understand it, the increased production rate did not reduce the
labor attention given to each car. When they increased production, DMC
hired more workers. It is the learning curve of the new workers that
might have caused initial quality to slip. How well these initial
quality problems were corrected at the QACs could be a good subject for
discussion.

Either way, there is no compelling reason to use the build year/month as
a deciding factor when buying a DeLorean.

IMHO it is a foolish DeLorean buyer who sets such rules for
himself/herself. Anyone who says: "I won't look at any November '81
DeLoreans because of their poor quality," or "I won't look at any May
'81 DeLoreans because they have Ducillier alternators," or even "I will
only look at low mileage DeLoreans because their engines will be in the
best shape," is doing themselves more harm than good.

You might as well say: "I will never buy any DeLorean because the oil in
the crank case must be 18 years old by now!"

Call me crazy, but after 18 years someone has probably changed that
oil. That is what you need to find out. All you can tell from the
build month/year is what questions to ask the previous owner.

There is no substitute for doing your homework.

- Mike Substelny

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/dmcnews