[DML] Re: Air Conditioning / Clicking Noise

[DML] Re: Air Conditioning / Clicking Noise

Folks,

My two cents on this thread.

Continue the use of R-12 in the DeLoreans or any other older cars that is
fitted for R-12. R-134A is not all that good for the existing R-12 systems.
R-134A is a compromise. There are major work and expense (unless you don't
mind) involved to change the compressor or the seals and to flush the system
out for the use of R-134A. Too many things to do, to get it right for the use
in a R-12 system.

Yes, the "newer" cars that uses R-134A is cold, but they were engineered from
the beginning with R-134A in mind and with all components to support the use
of R-134A. Conversion is not the answer and it will not offer the COLDEST
effect in cooling as R-12. We have done it on many old cars of other marques
(not with DeLoreans, yet). Looking back, it was a major mistake now.

In the beginning of the panic, we were told that R-12 was no longer to be
available which started a panic with many people of who depended on R-12 --
the auto, commercial and other users alike. That was almost ten years ago.
R-12 is still available today. Until R-12 is completely depleted or so
expensive, it is okay to continue the use for all the remaining cars. The
demand of R-12 will fade away slowly with time. The remaining cars that do
uses R-12 will not destroy the ozone and the environment as much as all the
other "ills" in the rest of the world that is contributing to this demise.

PURE freon R-12 is still available. It is expensive, but available. You
will need a license to buy and to use it. Your car once fill will not need
to be filled every year. You many need a little topping once every two
years, if any. If you need more then one pound, you have a leak. Better get
that leak fixed, for the atmospheric air and R-12 becomes hydrochloric acid
-- it is detrimental to the components of the A/C system! It will eat the
system from inside out. This will be a MAJOR expense to change the
components and labor that is involved. For all of you who do have leak, find
it, corrected it and vaccum/evacuate the system of air, then fill to the
correct operating pressure or pounds of freon to sure up the system. This is
job is for a professional with the proper equipment and "know how" (unless
you are able to do it). If the system is correct prepared, it will sever you
many years -- trouble free.

In an A/C system, a difference of five degrees or more of cold air output is
a major difference when it is competing against 90 plus ambient heat of hot
sun and humidity. In DeLorean it is a noticeable difference due to the
little insulation and the poor electrical output from the factory's
alternator. You can't used the blower on high mode and be in idle or creeping
in traffic for it causes a drain on the battery. This will be another
headache when you stop the car and try to start it again. The few DeLoreans
cars that I have been in, they were using R-12 with a "correct charge A/C
system", it just cuts the comfort level in the "hot" weather and temperature.

I don't know any DeLorean owners using R-134A. I would like to know from
those who has converted their system and can give some input with some facts
to support the difference between the two in the hot weather. This is info I
would like to know with the DeLorean's A/C system.

Besides, I can't see how anyone can drive or ride in a DeLorean without A/C
or with an inadequate system in hot weather.

***As a practice you should run the A/C system once a month during the winter
months. This is to keep the system perk and fresh.***

Kayo Ong
#05508
Lic 9D NY

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/dmcnews